Using Hellolingo in Teaching English

Engaging second language learners can be challenging, however social media is often seen as a potential solution that could immerse students. The problem is that most learners, particularly those with few language skills in the new language, need many supports. A further concern is safety and privacy when speaking with strangers. Hellolingo, produced by Magikhub, provides an application that assists in this endeavor.

dv

Source: MagikHub, 2016

In order to use the system a free registration process is required. The learner also identifies their maternal language and the second language that they are seeking to learn. There is a version that can be downloaded to Android phones, or the system can be used on the web using a computer. The Hellolingo application helps to match individuals who wish to practice the second language, and uses algorithms such as common interests. Vocabulary, translation and phrase support is built into the application.

Chatting using social media is so widespread it has become a problem in schools and workplaces. Unlike forced homework, a social media application that provides supported ways of practicing a new language has real potential to get students to put in the practice time that might otherwise seem difficult and frustrating. The learner can also set up the application and use base features in their own language, which is particularly promising for those students with little experience in the second language.

For teachers of English as a second language, this application may be a way to engage an entire classroom. By assigning homework that has students chatting with one another, real life social interaction can occur while harnessing the addictive power of online chatting to further second language goals. Students can also practice with native English speakers or other English language learners from around the world. This technology that may change the level of engagement of students, and this can rapidly provide the immersion and confidence that students need to gain expertise in English.

References

MagikHub. (2016). Hellolingo. Retrieved from: https://www.hellolingo.com/

Previous

My Research Interests

Next

Alif and Xuelei’s Multimodal Tutorial

6 Comments

1. Nazlınur Gokturk

I am glad that you have provided us with a brief review of HelloLingo, which is a new website that can have potential for language learning. I liked the idea of integrating it into the classwork with the purpose of increasing engagement of the learners with the target language. I think the built-in functions such as translation, vocabulary, and phrase support may help the learners to become involved in the addiction of chatting as they would not have to look for each and every single word during a chat. One possible activity that popped up into my mind is that the teacher may give a prompt to the students, ask them to discuss the prompt with one of native or non-native speakers, and report their discussion to their peers, which may not only provide the students with an authentic task, but also bolster their confidence in using the target language for communication.

• Xuelei

I really like your idea about prompt. Communication is difficult for second language learners, by using Hellolingo, teachers can give students the prompt and ask them to discuss,I will definitely borrow your idea in my futhure teaching. Thanks Nazlinur.

2. Tongxuan

I like the idea that it can be applied to a classroom. I may try it in China, if there is no connection issue.

3. Taichi

Thank you for introducing such an interesting application! I believe that the addictive nature for some learners is really vital. Are you planning to do some work on language learning through chatting?

• Xuelei

Yes, I am. And I want to know more about how users learn English through chatting, and also what is the differences between online commucation and face to face communication. Also I found that it is more confident to chat with stranger in English for beginners.